Sunday, October 28, 2018

Day 28: Room To Listen



It comes back to the cross every time, all the time. We were saved from our sins. Jesus who was sinless came from his father down to us in flesh and took our place, because of love and obedience to his father. Jesus was human just like us. He didn’t want to die. He asked that this cup be taken from him, but that the Father’s will be done. He followed his father.

From that obedience we were given not only forgiveness from all our sins and eternity with Christ, but a helper to be with us through our time on earth. The Spirit of God is with us, our helper in living in the world and hanging on to truth when we want to give up and go the wide path.

“But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me. And you also will bear witness, because you have been with me from the beginning.” John 15:26-27

The Helper bears witness about Christ to us, just as we bear witness to the world around us. The Helper does not leave us, the Spirit is with us always. The Helper is our helper. But do I listen to the Helper?

Am I and are we willing to listen to the Spirit and also be willing to make ourselves available to listen? If I cannot recognize the voice of God, I am probably not going to be willing to listen or pick it out form all the other voices around me.

For our dreams, but more importantly our lives we need that voice of truth to not only make good decisions but discern what we should do. I used to believe this was a little hokey. I do not hear an audible voice of God, but when scripture just pops into my mind or a memory of God’s faithfulness comes back into focus, I listen to that. I gain perseverance to keep going towards what is obedient to Christ in loving others before myself by prioritizing being in silence to listen for His prompting.

Remaining in Christ is possible because of the Spirit we have, our helper. Because of the cross we can know Jesus. We do not have to fret when dreams don’t come true or doors are closed, because no matter what we are not alone. Being with Christ and doing our best to be obedient to what he has asked us to do, love people with His love, is all that matters. That is a good life.

Remaining Assignment #5: Get silent. No music or screens. Get alone and be in the silence. Ask God to open your ears to hear and journal what came from that time of silence with Him.  

- Hannah

No comments: