Wednesday, September 13, 2017

How to Grow

“Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.” Matthew 6: 34 (MSG)

Question: What has uninvited change taught you in your own life? How can you better embrace it?

I can try really hard to plan and map out my days on this spinning world, but I will never have a perfect day where everything goes as planned. I can’t recall a day where every hour ended up with a neat little bow on top. I am not saying to throw out the day planners, vision boards, and all ambitions in this life…but hold them loosely. 

Hold them loosely and take each day as it comes. One day at a time. After my Nana and Papa fell in Vegas this became almost a mantra in my life. There was a period of time where I was moving through the day, but anticipating death. Death was near and for the first time in my life I had to admit it was going to happen. One day at a time. After I was diagnosed with a birth defect that required surgery to correct, this became a solid statement in my life. Through doctors, tests, unknowns, and recovery…one day at a time. 

That is how I embrace the uninvited bumps, turns, and surprises of life. One day at a time. I am a pessimist at heart, or as I like to say a realistic thinker. I like to take sky high dreams and crash them back down to reality. A real problem for the dreamer in me, but it is also a gift. A gift that allows me to roll with the punches when the fire comes and respond in gratitude when unexpected happiness comes along. One day at a time. I lay down my plan, my ideas of the day and open my hands to receive whatever may come and ask for the strength and gratitude to walk through it. 

Sounds nice and pretty, but more often than not when things don’t just go south but also hit the fan, I go down. My anxiety kicks in and the fog tunnel of a panic attack settles over me and everything moves in slow motion. I am not the best at taking one day at a time, as the days blur and before I know it a year has gone by. It is too easy for me to get distracted by the trials and even by the blessings in this world. I get flack for saying this, but I believe God is in everything. Sin does not win. The darkness of night and trial does not win. God uses all things for good, even the bad; He is present in the darkness. He can withstand all, because He overcame it all. 

“Indeed, an hour is coming, and has come, when each of you will be scattered to his own home, and you will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.  I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. You will have suffering in this world. Be courageous! I have conquered the world.” John 16:32-33

“We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28 

“For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has been tempted in every way as we are, yet without sin.” Hebrews 4:15

With Him in me I will see the dawn. And when the light is shining bright I also have the strength to stay down on my knees. Thankfulness. Gratitude. That is how one day at a time, can actually become a reality. On my knees in surrender and thankfulness for the dawn. Unexpected and uninvited, become a welcome opportunity for growth and change. Painfully hard to live out, but that is how a life changes. Work=Pain=Growth. 

This is how to grow.
This is a beautiful life.
Don’t miss because it is causes soreness, it is worth it to wake up.

- Hannah

No comments: