Saturday, September 2, 2017

Shaded Eyes

There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. – C.S. Lewis

Question: Define your relationship with the way you want others to perceive you. Effortless? Kind? Assertive? Witty? How might these desired perceptions enhance your everyday life? How might they hinder it? 

Perceptions keep me chasing my tail. Ever since I remember I have wanted to be a woman of wit, sass, faith, strength, and attractive vulnerability. Think a cross between Lorelai Gilmore and the Apostle Paul, an odd combination but hopefully you can see it. Yet, this is not who I am most of the time. I am more of the brooding, eclectic, slightly eccentric, writer type who'd rather stay in and create or read a book than be around a crowd of people. 

My desire to be qualities that I admire gives me motivation to grow, but can easily push me to loathe the girl I really am when I am in the crowd. It is another potential cycle of admiration, idol worship, and detesting the person I am today. I am thankful for the men and women in my life that inspire me to become, but it can easily turn into lifting these awesome people up to a place they do not belong. Admiring souls can become following lives that will never satisfy me. 

No matter how much I am not who I want to be, or thought of in the ways I would like to be, perception is empty. I would love to be thought highly of and well respected, I do not know many people who don’t. I have learned that perceptions can be wrong. They can create false realities and build walls between people stopping them from getting to authentically know each other. I rather people come to their own perspective of me, but not to the point they are afraid to know who I am. Perceptions are one of the big things that has kept me from knowing people and letting them know me in return. 

I have a friend who I have “known” (knew her name) for a long time, but growing up I had a perception of her and I figured I was not her type of friend. Years later, she is one of my dearest friends. I threw out what I perceived of her and decided to get to know her for who she is. I am glad I have her in my life and she is nothing like I had her in my mind, she is approachable and real and she holds me accountable and vice versa. 

This isn’t saying all of your perceptions are going to lead to budding friendships, but how will you ever know if you do not throw them out the window and say hi, or bond over a book. You won’t know if you are choking a person with your preconceived idea of who they are. Perceptions, are nice and I know I want to be thought of as this awesome, super sass, artistic hero, but that is not me; and that is ok. I want people to know me and not through perceptions and vice versa. 

If I stay in a place of perception of self and others, I miss out on reality, the messy reality of my humanity. I am not perfect and I am not even who I view myself to be, or how I want to be viewed, I have found I rest somewhere in the middle, even then I am missing the big picture of who I am. Who I am in God’s eyes, which is the lens I want to view myself and others through. But, those perceptions seem to be the preferred lens of my self-reflection and people watching. 

My flesh and spirit pull, the tensions are real in the fight to view people with open hands and not shaded eyes; the way I struggle to see myself. Reality or lies. Reality and lies. Reality. Lies. I pray for the divine in a world of reality lies. 

- Hannah

No comments: