Sunday, September 3, 2017

It's A Multi-Generational Journey

Tell me and I’ll forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I learn. 
- Benjamin Franklin
Question: Explain an interaction or experience that changed your entire perspective on life. 

Goodness, I feel like everyday changes my perspective on life. This country is constantly changing as this world is continually moving. Somedays I look around and I am proud to live where I live and other days I shake my head in shame. I have a constantly shifting perspective on this life and all I can say is this world is not my home and I should not let this place affect my thoughts and feelings so much. There are a couple of experiences that have come to mind typing this out.

Serving in youth. I love young girls and even those young men, they are cool too, but I love watching those girls discover Jesus and grow in their gifting’s. I didn’t start out loving young people, I use to despise those younger than me. I thought they were annoying. But after a summer serving in vacation bible school that perspective changed. I am thankful that early on in my serving, I discovered the beauty of the younger generation. Fast forward several years and I was graciously and undeservingly given a chance to co-lead a group of 5th grade girls. My life hasn’t been the same since. I once thought only the older ones could teach me about life and Jesus, I was wrong. Life is meant to be a multi-generational affair, the older with the younger. I like living life in this way, a way I once frowned upon and rolled my eyes at. I am extremely thankful for every young person on this planet and their unique places within the church and society; they are world changers and I am more than happy to cheer and make a fool of myself in the stands of life. You go girls (and guys). 

College in the broadest sense of the term has been an eye opening experience. My college experience has not been normal, but beyond that I have been given the opportunity to learn more about myself and the world. It is a privilege that I have spent too many hours being ungrateful about. I had a professor during my time at DBU that helped reignite a dying part of my soul. Art has always held a special place in my heart. My dad’s side of the family is extremely creative and I have always been surrounded by pieces of beauty and encouragement to find my creative expression. Writing has become my avenue, but I used to draw, paint, and take pictures on a regular basis. DBU came at a time when I was extremely down and out on life and my purpose, but this teacher was not satisfied with that outlook. For one week I sat under her perspective and knowledge of the arts, from various periods, techniques, and mediums I was immersed in the arts. I found my love for it again. I found a desire to create. It took a few more years to get to the point of participating in creating, but I will always remember my professor's passion and strong desire for each of us to be involved in the creative process. God did not just make us to sit and be, but to participate in creation through creating. The arts are a beautiful way to express worship and thanks to the Savior. I am thankful. 

My social circle is much prettier and livelier with the younger generation spinning around. And the arts not only calm my soul but remind me that I was created to create; to share. Life is worth sharing and participating in. There are more girls who feel awkward than not, and more artists that feel like art is not worth pursuing when they stare at their bank accounts. I am thankful I get to be a part of encouraging the next generation to pursue their creative; my purpose. The spirit of the living God is in all things. He made it all and he is in it all, through mentorship and the arts I see it clearer than when I am holed up within myself. My perspective changes every time I open my Bible over coffee conversation and every time I put my brush, pen, or lens to the world around me and enjoy the works of those who have gone before me. Multi-generational living at its finest, my favorite way to grow. 

- Hannah

No comments: