Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Courtney Elmer: Brave Stories


I am thankful to have Courtney here today to tell her Brave Story. I met her online through a Facebook community we are apart of. Her story is one of struggle and triumph, that I relate to and I am inspired by. Please welcome Courtney today as she shares her her story. - Hannah

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

Five short years ago, my life looked nothing like it does now.

Five years ago, I was living a life that from the outside looking in, looked like the picture of success.

I was working for myself, running a business that was thriving and strong. I was traveling the world on all-expense-paid vacations that I’d earned through my company. I was driving a luxury vehicle and going out for fancy dinner dates every weekend with my fiancĂ©e, planning our wedding and dreaming about our future together.

From the outside looking in, everything was F-I-N-E.

But fine was the word I used to cover up what was really going on inside. On the inside, I felt depressed, anxious, and overwhelmed all. the. time.

I felt guilty when I wasn’t working, because if I wasn’t working it meant that I wasn’t getting closer to my goals. And on the flip side, I felt guilty when I was working, because work was taking me away from living my life.

I wanted nothing more than to have a life that I could enjoy and work from a place that was more fulfilling, but I didn’t know where to start so I stayed stuck in my work addiction, repeating the patterns of stress and burnout over, and over, and over again.

That was when my world came crashing down around me, when, just two days after returning home from my honeymoon, I was diagnosed with cancer at just 25 years old.

That’s when I knew something had to give.

My diagnosis was the wake-up call I needed. I knew that I couldn’t keep going the way that I was any longer, and I didn’t care what it took – I was ready to make a change. So, I decided to walk away from it all and pour my years of business experience, mentorship, training, and education into creating a roadmap for myself to follow – a step-by-step action plan – to climb out of the hole I had dug for myself.

And I did: I was able to stop my tailspin and get my life back on track, learning how to work and live from a place that was more calm, clear, focused, and fulfilling.

Those years when I was working myself into the ground were often very, very lonely. All I craved was authentic connection with other women, but I can remember feeling like I didn't have a safe space to seek support and companionship without feeling judged or without the temptation to compare myself to other women who I deemed "more successful" than me. And after going through my own journey of transformation and healing, this was one thing that I was committed to changing: figuring out a way not only to help women stress less in their lives and businesses, but also to provide a safe space for them to come together and support one another, and feel free to simply be.

This pivotal moment in my life was when the seed for my work in the world today as an Empowerment Speaker and Stress Coach was planted: teaching my fellow female entrepreneurs and business owners how to pinpoint and eliminate the underlying causes of stress and overwhelm in their life and business, so that they too can have a life AND a business they LOVE without having to sacrifice one for the sake of the other.

Having a business where my message and mission is to help others #StressLESS and #LiveMORE means that I too have to walk my walk if I’m talking the talk.

This keeps me grounded and reminds me to live my best life – one that’s peaceful, calm, clear, and focused – so that I can show others that it IS possible to do the same.

Experiencing hard times is a challenging test of patience and faith (boy would I know!), but I can honestly say that it was also one of the greatest gifts that God has ever given me. I am so grateful to be on the path that I’m on, learning and growing in my own journey every day and helping others do the same. 

....................................................................................................................................................................

Courtney is an Empowerment Speaker and Stress Coach who, after being diagnosed with cancer at the age of 25, has made it her mission to show her fellow female entrepreneurs how to pinpoint and eliminate the underlying causes of stress and overwhelm in their life and business so they can live a more vibrant and fulfilling life. – a.k.a., how to #StressLESS and #LiveMORE as Courtney loves to say.

When she's not speaking to groups or leading a retreat, you'll usually find her either at the barre studio, adventuring with her husband Alan and their little boy AJ, or curled up on the couch with a great book and a piece or two of dark chocolate.

Courtney makes her home in the fun and funky city of New Orleans with her family, their furry pups Ace and Deuce, and her lop-eared rabbit Mambo.

Join her Facebook Group of amazing people just like you who have a burning desire for a calmer, clearer, more focused and fulfilling life OR Get to know her personally over on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

No comments: